Sunday, April 11, 2010

Obsessively Healthy


First post ever! I figure an introduction is in order. My name is Kellie and I am a 30 year old mother of 3. I have been struggling with Obsessive-Compulsive disorder as long as I can remember. My obsessions have manifested themselves in different ways throughout my life, but all have created immense anxiety. When I was 20 I began a long course of medicines. I was on and off of them for almost 9 years. During that time my weight went up. A combo of meds and pregnancies caused me to reach my highest weigh of 165lbs. My medicine caused weight gain, lethargy and an insatiable appetite. It was a terrible cycle because although they did cause some relief from my OCD symptoms, I did not like how I felt in other ways. I finally decided to get some help in the form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I had a wonderful therapist who taught me skills needed to deal with my obsessions instead of masking them with medicine. I finally went off my meds and began losing weight by following Weight Watchers. Although I never "officially" joined, I shadowed a friend. I am now a little under 130lbs and feel great. I have learned to manage my OCD by eating healthfully and working out consistently. People often ask my what I eat to control my weight and stay strong. I thought that by starting this blog I can share what I eat and how I live. I thank God for giving me a way to control OCD and live a healthy, balanced life again. Please feel free to email me with any questions and I hope you enjoy the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment