Thursday, July 1, 2010

Balance

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/weightloss/diet-type-or-calories-lost-whats-best-weight-loss

I just read this article and thought it was interesting. I am a firm believer that if you want to lose weight, then you have to decrease your calories. 3,500 is a pound. I really don't think that you have to eat certain foods (or not eat them) to loose, just find a way to cut out some calories and/or up your activity. I am not saying to eat donuts (although the occasional won't hurt you), but the basic premise for losing is pretty simple.

I choose to eat certain foods because of the way I feel when I eat them and to keep my body as healthy as possible. I would much rather eat a giant salad for the same amount of calories as a small serving of french fries. I sometimes think that people get so hung up on "low carb, high protein" diets that they don't realize that too much of anything is not good. As a runner I could not imagine eating a low carb diet. I try to find a balance. I try to eat plenty of veggies to get my vitamins and whole grains for fiber. I don't like to eat white bread often, but I am going out to dinner to celebrate Jeff's birthday tonight and you better believe if they have thick, white rolls I will have one (or 3). It is about balance. If I am going to have a big meal out, then I will try to cut calories in other meals. I won't starve myself or restrict, but I just try to keep my daily total calorie intake at a certain point. I also am planning a long run tomorrow, so I know all the food I eat tonight will help fuel my run tomorrow. It is all about balance and not restriction. That is the only way any weight loss and healthy lifestyle will work for the long run.
I am off to eat breakfast and try my first body pump class at the Y. I don't like first classes because I never know how much weight to use. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment